Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Clowns to the Left of Me Jokers to the Right...

Here I am stuck in the middle with you.

By middle I mean moderate.

As in not the most expensive and not the least expensive.  Smack dab in the middle.  

I think we truly are moderate people.

As I mentioned we are currently booked for a 7 night stay at the Beach Club.  As I've also mentioned, I go back and forth with thinking we should change that ressie to save some money.  The economy is scaring me and as much as I am looking forward to a Beach Club stay, I have really enjoyed each of our moderate stays.  Since I have moderates on the brain and if I don't keep my fingers busy typing I will call 407-w-disney and inquire about availability, I think this is a good time to share my experiences and do some mini-mod reviews.

There are 4 moderate resorts and we have stayed at 3 of them.

Caribbean Beach:  I've stayed here several times between 1994 and 2008 and enjoyed each stay.  I love all things tropical and bright and find that this place really makes me feel like I am on vacation.  The grounds are lovely, the food court is enjoyable and the landscaping is gorgeous.  I am looking forward to enjoying the pirate-themed pool on a future visit as it just opened in September.

Coronado Springs: This is unique as a moderate because it is a convention resort.  There are pros and cons to this.  The pros being that there are typically more conventioneers than tourists which means faster bus service, less crowds in the pool during the day and many of the amenities of a deluxe resort.  The downside is that there are often large groups walking around in business attire or matching shirts and I sometimes felt like I was an uninvited guest at their private party.  We spent a week here and loved it.  However, last April when we were staying at CBR we stopped by this resort for dinner.  It was then that we realized we enjoyed not having the large groups of business-trippers.  It is a beautiful resort though and I would certainly stay here again.

Port Orleans Riverside: We've stayed here twice.  The first time we were in the mansions.  People love the mansions and often describe them as "elegant."  They personally reminded me of a nursing home.  The second time we stayed here we requested and received the Alligator Bayou section.  I really liked this area.  The landscaping was great and I enjoyed the rustic theming of the rooms.  Port Orleans Riverside is considered to be a separate resort from French Quarter, but they share the same amenities.  The walk between the two is easy and pleasant.  My two favorite Port Orleans features are the boat ride to Downtown Disney and the piano player who does a show a few nights a week.  He is great fun!  

As far as I'm concerned the moderate resorts offer the best dollar value.  They have fabulous themed pools, landscaped property, in room fridges and coffee pots, sit down restaurants, hot tubs, playgrounds and more.  We've had great experiences at each of them.

No comments: