Sunday, January 18, 2009

Time to Eat

Well, it won't actually be time to eat for another 91 days, but tomorrow is the big day.

It is the day that I can call Disney and make ADRs for our trip.  We did the dining plan in 2006 and loved it.  At the time we had an 8 month old and there wasn't a whole heck of a lot to do, but walk around and eat so it suited us well.

We also did the dining plan in 2007 when we took my parents to eat.  That was comical.  My dad had a system for ordering.  He would open the menu, slide his finger up and down and automatically pick whatever the most expensive item was.  Didn't matter if it sounded appetizing or not.  If it was the priciest then it was his meal du jour.  That was the trip that I started to feel the negative side of the dining plan because I felt like our days were dictated by ADRs.

We went back in December of that year.  Again with my parents.  Again with the dining plan.

We opted to do the dining plan that time solely for my father.  It's the only way my mother could get him to go back.  We didn't book until August and it was insanely challenging to get ADRs fort he restaurants we wanted.

Last April we decided not to do the plan.  I enjoyed the break from it and the freedom to have an unplanned day and eat what we felt like.  We didn't make many ADRs.

For this trip I am not sure.  Since we are staying at the Beach Club and are within walking distance to many of the restaurants it may be less of a hassle.  I just need to see if it makes sense for us cost wise.  I figured I would book some ADRs and then add the plan if it seems like it will be the best deal.  I'm not thrilled that they dropped the appetizers and tip from the plan.  It was too much food, but I wish there was an option to choose between an appetizer and a dessert as I would take a nacho over cake any day.  Oh, who am I kidding.  I want them both.

We have our favorites.  OK, I have my favorite.  It's Chef Mickey's.  It's just fun and screams out, "Welcome to your Disney Vacation" to me.  I have us booked for dinner the night we fly in and breakfast the next morning before the Magic Kingdom opens.  We obviously won't do both, but I'm waiting to see what else we can scrounge up before committing to one.  I also love Crystal Palace for breakfast.  My son hugs all the characters and it's so darn sweet it makes the Mickey waffles dripping in syrup look bland in comparison.  My husband is a good sport, but I'm guessing he would prefer to eat his dinner sans napkin waving.

I'm leaning towards taking advantage of the location of our resort and trying out some new places.

I'm really hoping for ADRs before park opening at Tusker House and Crystal Palace.

I'll post my list after my 7 a.m. call...Thanks to Dr. Martin Luther King I'll be home tomorrow.
  

No comments: