Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Come on Shake Your Body Baby Do the Tonga


It's still snowing.

Hubby was kind enough to stop on his way home from work for a few essentials.  The list included milk, eggs and a sled.   We legitimately needed the milk and eggs.  We were out of both. Still, I'm glad he went because I always feel like a lemming if I purchase milk, bread or eggs during or proceeding a snowstorm.  

If you live in a snowy climate you know what I mean. People flock to the supermarkets and convenience stores to raid the shelves of these items and I never understood why.  When was the last time you were trapped in your house and felt a dire urge to make french toast? Because in reality what else can you make with those three ingredients.

And since we are talking about french toast I shall now address a Disney favorite...of others.

Tonga Toast.

People love it.  They write about it on message boards.  They post photos of it.  They plan trips around it.  I'm not one of those people.  

Thick piece of carb-loaded bread: check

Deep fried: talk to me baby

Rolled in cinnamon and sugar: me likey me likey

Served with a mushy, yucky, warm banana in the middle: I'm OUT!

As a life-long banana-hater the concept nauseates me.  I'm saddened by the fact that someone could invent something so sinfully wonderful, drizzle it with syrup and serve it with a fine swine product and yet ruin it by stuffing it with potassium-rich nastiness.

Regardless of my personal tastes, I do recommend you try this.  It is served at Kona Cafe (table service) and Captain Cook's (counter service) in the Polynesian. Enough people go gaga for the stuff that it has to be good.  If you like bananas.


1 comment:

-h. said...

They have a version of this at Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica. Except it's filled with delicious creamy custard, and drizzled with chocolate.

I can just hear my ass growing when I eat it.