Saturday, December 20, 2008

Move Over Grand Floridian

There are some new gingerbread houses in town.

OK so our little village is actually constructed out of milk cartons and graham crackers.  And perhaps they are the size of one shingle from the Grand Floridian version, but they are charming in their own way.  

Truth be told I was not as impressed with the GF house as I thought I would be.  I'm assuming it was because of the fact that I had seen so many photos of it online.  I think Samantha Brown even spent some time in it during one of the Travel Channel documentaries.  It is beautiful and it is fairly amazing that a structure made of flour and sugar could house a sales clerk peddling gingerbread products to tourists.  Still, I think sometimes my obsession with Disney message boards and fan sites can cause some letdown because I don't get that "ooohhh look at that" moment. I would think this would be jaw-dropping if you didn't know about it ahead of time.

Oh well.  I can ooh and ahh over the little village created by my family.  Incidentally, my construction is the one on the left (and yes, I am humble enough to realize that alone means I should marvel at the Grand Floridian masterpiece because I obviously cannot do better).  It's small.  It's kooky.  But, it was made on a snowy New England evening by my little family and I am impressed that my 3 year old thought to add a gumdrop doorknob and a fruit loop wreath!

No comments: